I never thought I would share recipes on my blog. I mean, I LOVE to cook and of course eat all the snacks but I never dreamed that I would be so motivated to share a recipe. Last night I had a wild idea to try to make chicken fajitas for dinner. I’ve never made them before, but I mean it’s not that hard. The ingredients and cooking process aren’t challenging. So me being the crazy kid I am, I did a play on words when naming this recipe. Familiar with the ol’ school LL Cool J song “Rock The Bells“?…if you aren’t you should be. Get it…Rock The Bell(s) Peppers…because Bell Peppers are ingredients in the fajitas?!?!?!
So this recipe will take about 30 minutes to make and can serve two people. It’s also great family fun, so double the recipe if you want just a little more for the kids.
- One Red Onion
- One Green Bell Pepper
- One Red Bell Pepper
- Two boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Flour or corn tortillas (your choice)
- Black pepper
- Sea Salt
- Additional seasoning to taste (I use spice blends such as the 21 seasoning salute which has zero calories from Trader Joe’s and add cayenne pepper)
- Slice the veggies into smaller pieces. The bell pepper should be about 3 inches long and the onion slices should be about 4 inches. This will depend on the size of your fruits and veggies. Place them in a bowl when complete. Feel free to add a small amount of salt or pepper.
- On a separate cutting board, season the chicken breasts on both sides to taste. Don’t cross contaminate, remember you’re dealing with raw poultry.
- Cut the chicken into 4 inch strips. Even cutting will allow for even cooking on all the pieces. Place the pieces in a bowl when complete.
Cook It Up!
- In a skillet on medium-high heat toss in your chicken. I used a cast iron skillet with a small amount of oil so the meat didn’t stick, but a non-stick skillet will work as well. Let it cook until tender and golden. This should take about 10 minutes. Ensure your chicken is cooked all the way through…we don’t want anyone getting sick.
- Once your chicken is nearing completion, introduce the bowl of peppers and onions. Cook until the onions become translucent.
- Remove from the heat into a bowl or plate for serving.
- Eat with tortillas and ENJOY
- You can also add cheese and sour cream if you’d like but keep in mind this adds additional calories. I ate this with no additions and it was DELICIOUS.
This meal was quick and delicious meal. If you are vegan, you can substitute the chicken for tofu. I mean that sounds amazing to me! A great meal that gives you fruits, veggies, and your protein. All while being conscious of calories and portion control…and your wallet. This meal costs MAYBE 10 dollars for 2 servings. No excuse not to eat healthy and get some flavor in your diet! Give it a try and let me know how you like it!